Friday, September 19, 2014

Top 10 Signs of a Triathlete Parent

My two kids know a lot about triathlon, although they’re still learning some of the subtleties of the sport. For example, at my race this past weekend, as the men’s 65-69 age group winner was claiming his prize, my 6-year old yelled out in disbelief and disgust “Ahhhhh! HEEEE won?!?” He’s also at the age in which girls are gross, and was similarly appalled when a woman stood atop the podium. We have some work to do.

Anyways, it’s been a while since I’ve done a Top 10 list, so I thought it was time.


Top 10 Signs of a Triathlete Parent

10) Pull buoy riddled with teeth marks

9) Aero helmet been worn more times as “jousting knight” costume than actual races

8) Can count on one hand # of workouts over past few years between hours of 6-8pm

7) IronKids t-shirts heavily featured in wardrobe rotation

6) Routinely find toys hidden in pockets of bike jersey


these bad boys give me the energy I need to skateboard home from school


5) Generally accepted that mom will eventually return after she emerges from water only to suddenly leave us in the lurch

4) A 90-min bike ride takes exactly 90 min… not a minute wasted

3) Mutual respect in that mom and dad have “swimming lessons” (masters) on various mornings just like they do

2) Clif "Z Bars” (marketed to kids) routinely appear in workplace lunch – hey, they taste great, what can I say?

1) Daughter has mastered flying dismount off pink Barbie bike




Top 10 List Archives:

No comments:

Post a Comment